Monday, December 10, 2012

Lab 1: Disaster Simulation

For our first lab we got to play a disaster game that helped us better understand storm mitigation and how preparation can help reduce damage done to the effected area.

Tsunami Before




This is the before image of my tsunami demonstration game. The object of the game is to save and protect as many people and buildings in the community from the tsunami. You must also build accommodations for 320 people, build a hospital and hotels.My strategy for this even was to strengthen the existing buildings that were there and create the new shelter on the highest part of the map. I also created a lot of sand dunes, mangroves, and breakwaters to stop the initial wave and minimize the disaster.

Tsunami After


The only thing that I over looked was not upgrading the houses enough. After the disaster a total of eight houses were destroyed, 22 injured and 22 dead. We were then instructed to kill as many people and create as much damage as possible. To kill as many people as I could this time what I did was put all the buildings on the coast line and not put up any defensive objects to help slow down the wave. I ended up killing 108 and injuring 106.

We were then instructed to pick two other disasters and record the information of our results. The next scenario I created was an earthquake. I plan on moving to Colorado after college and I know there are a lot of earthquakes on the west coast so I thought what the this would be an interesting experience.

Earthquake Before






My strategy was to fix up the old houses so they would withstand the earthquake. I also had to build more houses to protect the tourists so I made sure to space out the buildings. I also installed an early detection system to alert people to evacuate.

Earthquake After



As you can see I didn't do so well with my disaster mitigation.

The next disaster I chose was flooding. Seeing that we live in Eau Claire we have had our fair share of rising water level and other water related disasters. So I thought it would be interesting to see how a flood would be simulated in this game.

Flood Before


To minimize deaths I decided to upgrade all the preexisting houses that were large and could house people. I then demolished the houses that were in high risk areas and rebuilt better homes on the highest part of the map. I also upgraded the town with an early detection system and put in marsh lands to help soak up the rain. I also installed run off ditches to direct the extra water in the low parts.

Flood After




I didnt do too bad in this simulation of a flood.









No comments:

Post a Comment